Saturday, August 10, 2013

Chocolate Cream Puffs with Whipped Cream Cheese & Strawberries





I think cream puffs are such an elegant dessert.  You can make them mini, long, into a tower, or even big like I did.  No matter how you make them, they're always delicious!  This time I decided to make chocolate ones so I added some cocoa powder and sugar to my dough.  Then I made a light and fluffy filling that has cream cheese and real whipped cream...and if that wasn't enough I decided to add in some sweetened strawberries.  The combination of flavors makes a delicious, delicate and beautiful dessert!


Ingredients are as follows:

1 (16 ounce) pack of strawberries
1 Tbsp. sugar

Dough:
1 C water
1/2 C butter
1/3 C sugar
1 C flour 
1/4 C cocoa powder
4 eggs

filling:
12 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 C powdered sugar 
3/4 C heavy whipping cream


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.


Slice the strawberries, sprinkle on the sugar and set aside.


Bring water, butter & sugar to a boil, reduce heat, stir in flour & cocoa powder.


Stir until it sticks together and pulls away from the sides.


Remove from heat; stir in eggs (one at a time) mixing well after each addition.


Continue to stir until you have a creamy consistency.


 Place six mounds of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake an additional 30 minutes.  Carefully remove and cool on a wire rack.


Cream together the cream cheese and powdered sugar.  Slowly mix in the heavy whipping cream and whip until it's nice and fluffy.

 

Slice a cream puff open and add a layer of filling then a layer of strawberries.


Put the top on, sprinkle with some powdered sugar and enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa, I love your mega cream puff! The strawberries peeking out of the puff looks delicious!

    I am currently hosting a Choux Party event looking for foodies who blogged about choux recipes in Aug 2013. I hope you will join me in the Choux Party by submitting your post! Do read here for more details on how to participate in the event: http://www.foodiebaker.com/2013/08/aspiring-bakers-34-choux-party.html

    I hope you will join and have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to leave one :)