I love quick breads because I love the simplicity of them. When I saw this recipe on Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms I couldn't wait to try it. My husband loves apple pie so this was sure to be a hit. Well let me tell you, it smelled divine and tasted just as good. The bread is moist and dense while the streusel topping is sweet and crumbly...the perfect combination! This would make a great addition to any breakfast or brunch.
Ingredients are as follows:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup 1% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (peeled) shredded apples
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
2 tablespoons cold butter
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5 bread pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add
the milk, eggs, vanilla, and apples and mix on low speed until smooth.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and
cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the apple mixture on low speed
until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and
cinnamon on low speed. With the mixer on low speed, add little pieces of
the butter and mix until blended. Add the walnuts and stir well.
Sprinkle the streusel over the bread batter evenly.
5. Bake for 60 – 70 minutes (until a toothpick inserted in the center
comes out clean). Let stand for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread from
the pan and cool on a wire rack...enjoy!
Labels: apple, bread, pie, quick, streusel