plummy-berry notes of red wine are highlighted when mixed with
chocolate and butter into a glaze that drips over the edges of this
decadent dark chocolate cake. It's the perfect way to ring in the holidays!
Ingredients are as follows:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus more for pan
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (at least 70% cacao), chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
Glaze and assembly:
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (at least 70% cacao), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Epicurious Cabernet Sauvignon
oven to 325°F. Lightly butter and flour pan.
- Heat chocolate, sugar, and
1 cup butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water
(bowl should not touch water), stirring, until chocolate is almost
completely melted, about 3 minutes; remove from heat and continue to
stir until chocolate is completely melted.
- Let cool completely.
an electric mixer on medium speed, add eggs to chocolate mixture 1 at a
time, beating to blend after each addition.
- Beat until mixture has a
mousse-like consistency. Reduce speed to low and add salt and 1/3 cup
flour; mix until smooth.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan; smooth top.
cake until top is firm and edges are slightly darkened, 55–65 minutes
(rely on visual cues; a tester inserted into cake's center will come out
clean before cake is truly done).
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and let
cake cool completely in pan before turning out.
For glaze and assembly:
chocolate, butter, and salt in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of
simmering water (bowl should not touch water), stirring, until chocolate
and butter are melted, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in powdered sugar.
- Meanwhile, bring wine just to a boil in a small saucepan.
chocolate mixture from heat and whisk in wine; let cool until slightly
thickened and a rubber spatula leaves a trail in mixture when stirring,
cake on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour glaze over
cake and spread it across the top and over the edges with an offset
- Let cake stand at room temperature until glaze is set, 2–3
- Slice, serve and enjoy!
Recipe and photo provided by EpicuriousWines