Thursday, June 26, 2014

Upside Down Apple Raisin Cornbread Cake


Upside Down Apple Raisin Cornbread Cake; flourmewithlove.com

 
I absolutely love cornbread, however I'll be honest...I've tried making it from scratch and for some reason it never tastes that good.  Thankfully there are mixes that help me out and I actually like the convenience of a mix.  Recently I tried the new Fleischmann's Simply Homemade Cornbread Mix (which is made with more corn then the leading brand) and I must say...it is divine!  It's moist, delicious and has a touch of sweetness that goes perfectly with that delicious corn flavor.  This is made-from-scratch quality without all the work.  It was so easy to make and in half an hour it was sitting on the dinner table.


Now you all know me, I love coming up with different recipes using unique ingredients.   After I made the traditional cornbread I decided to make up a dessert recipe.  This Upside Down Apple Raisin Cornbread Cake was incredible!  The butter and brown sugar seeps into the cake, gets a little crispy around the edges and the fruit pairs perfectly with the bread.  I made ours in the morning and by evening there was nothing but an empty plate of crumbs...it's that good! 



Print Friendly and PDF
Ingredients are as follows:


batter:
1 (15 ounce) box of Fleischmann's Simply Homemade Cornbread Baking Mix
+ the ingredients on the box:
   2/3 C milk
   1/3 C butter, melted
   1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon


topping:
3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 C raisins
1/2 C butter
1 C brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease a round cake pan.


Stir the dry mix, milk, melted butter and the egg together.



Mix in the vanilla and cinnamon; set aside.



Toss the apples with the 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.



Place into the prepared pan and add the raisins on top; set aside.



Mix the melted butter, brown sugar and vanilla together.



Pour this on top of the apple and raisins; mix around until coated.



Carefully spoon the batter on top; spread out evenly.



Bake for 35-40 minutes (until a toothpick in the center comes out clean).



Get a large plate, cover the pan and carefully flip the cake onto the plate.



Allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Slice, serve and enjoy!


This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fleischmann's. The opinions and text are all mine.



No comments: